Wednesday, March 21, 2007

'Long Long Time Ago '

Title: Long Long Time Ago
Author: No author
ISBN: 1-56591-083-4



*Summary of this book-

The book I chose contains 20 different Korean famous folktales. There are many different varieties of stories that would make you sad, happy, surprise, thrilling scared, brave, cool, and scared. One of the story, ‘Mr. Moon and Ms. Sun’. This story makes you satisfied of the sibling’s achievement. (Hat Nim Dal Nim in Korean) In that story, the sibling’s mom went to another village to help prepare for a feast. While she was going, she met a big tiger who was starving. The tiger ate her food and it even ate her. At that time, the siblings were scared of dark and were staying at home. Then the tiger wore their mother’s cloth and pretend like her. The tiger went to the sibling’s house to eat them. They recognized that it wasn’t their mother therefore they climbed the tree secretly to avoid tiger. The tiger followed them and climbed with the rope. And then the tiger tried to eat the siblings.......The last part is the coolest part! Ah man..!! Read this book and find out!


*Genre of this book-

I heard and read these stories since I was seven. I heard it from my mom before bed when I was young. This book can go into folktale as it says ‘Korean Folktale’ in the book. I’m sure that most Koreans know these stories. Since this is folktale, there is no author to this book.
1. This stories are retold by generations to generations.
2. In the story of ‘Mr. Moon and Ms.Sun’; it talks about the Korean old story like a legend of how the siblings became the Sun and the Moon.


Hayana’s Opinion to this book-

When I was looking for a book I found a special and cool book. It was about Korean folktale. It was still fun to me even tough I knew the story already. Reading in Korean and English was very different and cool. I didn’t know that there’s Korean folktale in English. I highly recommend this book to one who wants to know about Korean folktales. You can read the 20 different Korean folktales. In the story, you can also imagine its culture and custom by looking at pictures and stories. Looking at pictures is also one of the good things about this book. We can see that long ago, Koreans wore Han-Bok and Korean houses, and how they use things in the past.


Citations-
Long Long Time Ago. Elizabeth NJ*Seoul: Hollym, 1999.

By. Hayana Nam. 7th grade.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home